Maximum of ten (10) competitors will run in each PRCA Pro Rodeo performance, with the excess running in slack on Friday.
This is an all ages, WPRA co-approved event.
Entry & Fees *
- Entries are only taken on TBD
- Entry fee must be paid in cash by 6:00 pm on Friday, 6:00 pm on Saturday, and 2:00 pm on Sunday in the Rodeo Secretary Office with Nancy Jane Dorenkamp.
- Office fee of $5 per contestant will be charged for a total entry fee of $45.
Ground Rules *
- Breakaway Roping open to all WPRA members, non-members.
- Only 3 contestants can enter per phone call, each contestant may give 2 preferences for performances they want. THIS IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL GET YOUR PREFERENCE.
- Only 3 contestants in a buddy group, if a buddy group gives a preference and there are not enough spaces left in their preferred performances, the buddy group will be moved to the first available performance.
- There will be only one loop.
- Rodeo attire only behind the chutes and in the performance.
Friends of Horseshoe Park and Salt River Rodeo.
$200 added money.
What is Breakaway Roping? *
Breakaway roping is a rodeo event that features a calf and one mounted cowgirl.
The breakaway roper is behind a taut rope fastened with an easily broken string which is fastened to the rope on the calf. When the roper is ready she calls for the calf and the chute man trips a lever opening the doors. The suddenly freed calf breaks out running. When the calf reaches the end of his rope, it pops off and simultaneously releases the barrier for the roper. The roper must throw the rope in a loop around the calf’s neck.
Once the rope is around the calf’s neck, the roper signals the horse to stop suddenly. The rope is tied to the saddle horn with a string. When the calf hits the end of the rope, the rope is pulled tight and the string breaks. The breaking of the string marks the end of the run. The fastest run wins.